Information for Businesses
Welcome to Question Mark, Ohio! We are a vibrant and tight-knit community with a rich history and a bright future. Our town offers a variety of opportunities for businesses of all types. Whether you're a local start-up or a large corporation, we have the resources you need to succeed. From access to a skilled workforce and competitive tax rates, to a supportive business community and a wide range of amenities, Question Mark has everything you need to take your business to the next level.
The historic, original location of Mr. Freeze-E Ice Cream
Strike the right note at Bookman's Music Shop
The Willey Envelope Factory has been in operation for over 150 years!
Programs and Services
- Business Outreach: Our team provides one-on-one support to help local businesses succeed and grow.
- Business Attraction: We work to attract new businesses to the town by promoting its many advantages and opportunities.
- Business Networking: We facilitate business-to-business networking events and opportunities to help local businesses connect and succeed.
Picturesque Downtown Question Mark is the perfect place to open your retail store. Boasting ample foot traffic and convenient parking, people love coming Downtown to spend their time—and their money! Just ask the ice cream caddies at Mr. Freeze-E Ice Cream's original location, located in Downtown Question Mark for over 50 years!
But it's not just shopping, Question Mark is where heavy industry happens as well. The home of the Willey Envelope factory since 1851, Question Mark's industrial corridor is ready for your manufacturing, warehousing, and cold-storage needs. Move in today!
In addition to our many business advantages, Question Mark also boasts a unique and charming atmosphere. With picturesque streets, friendly locals, and a rich cultural heritage, our town is the perfect place to set up shop. Whether you're looking to open a new restaurant, launch a retail store, or establish a manufacturing facility, Question Mark has the space and resources you need to succeed.
So why wait? Come and experience all that Question Mark has to offer. With a supportive business community, a skilled workforce, and a unique and charming atmosphere, our town is the perfect place to grow your business.
Capital Improvement Projects
Question Mark is committed to maintaining and improving the infrastructure and public facilities that are vital to the health, safety, and well-being of our community.
We have a five-year Capital Improvement Plan in place to address the needs of our community and prioritize projects that will have the greatest impact on our residents and businesses. Our plan includes a wide range of projects, such as road and sidewalk repairs, upgrades to public parks and buildings, and improvements to our water and sewage systems.
We are excited to announce that work on filling the sinkhole near the old envelope factory is underway!
We are glad to announce that, as of June 1, 2023, the cornerstone of our Capital Improvement Plan, the filling of the big sinkhole by the envelope factory on Willey Way, is now underway. The sinkhole has been a source of concern for residents and businesses in the area, and we are committed not just filling the sinkhole, but repaving this historic street. As a result, Willey Way (21st Street) will be closed until further notice. Please access businesses located on Willey Way through rear entrances.
We will keep our community informed throughout the process and welcome any feedback or suggestions you may have. If you have any questions or concerns about the Capital Improvement Program Projects or the sinkhole repair project, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are committed to working with the entire community to ensure that Question Mark continues to be a great place to live, work, and visit.
Please note, as of June 1 our Capital Improvement Program has moved under the direction of the Department of Business Affairs.
Our team of experienced building inspectors are dedicated to ensuring that all buildings in our community are safe and up to code. We are committed to providing the highest level of service to property owners, developers, and contractors in our town.
Our inspectors are usually here to help!
We offer a wide range of services, including pre-construction consultations, building code compliance inspections, and final occupancy inspections. Our inspectors are well-versed in all local, state, and federal building codes and regulations, and they stay up-to-date with the latest industry developments.
Our team is committed to working with you to ensure that your building project meets all necessary requirements and is completed on time. We understand that building projects can be stressful, so we strive to make the inspection process as smooth as possible.
However, we regret to inform that our lead Building Inspector, Bill Twombley, has recently disappeared and we are currently working to fill the position as soon as possible.
If you have any questions or would like to schedule an inspection, please don't hesitate to contact us. We look forward to working with you to ensure that your building project is a success.
Permits & Licenses
Our goal is to provide clear and comprehensive information on the permits and licenses required to operate a business within our town.
Types of Permits and Licenses
- Business License: A business license is required for all businesses operating within Question Mark, Ohio. This includes both brick-and-mortar businesses and home-based businesses. The license must be renewed annually.
- Building Permit: A building permit is required for any construction, alteration, or renovation work on commercial properties.
- Zoning Permits: Zoning permits are required for any changes to the use of a property, such as changing a residential property to a commercial property.
- Alcohol License: Alcohol licenses are required for any business that serves alcohol, including bars, restaurants, and liquor stores.
- Health License: A health license is required for businesses that handle food or beverages, provide personal care services, or operate in any other capacity that could affect public health.
- High-Density Magnetic Field License: A special license is required for any individual or business employing a high-density magnetic field in research, manufacturing, or recreation.
- Sign Permit: A sign permit is required for businesses that wish to install or modify a sign on their property. In light of recent disappearances of signage, a reminder that permitholders are required to replace signs that go missing.
- Special Event Permit: A special event permit is required for any temporary event, such as a festival, parade, picnic, or outdoor concert that takes place within Question Mark, Ohio.
No matter the size of your picnic, you are required to obtain a Special Event Permit.
How to Apply for a Permit or License
To apply for any of these permits or licenses, please visit our Town Hall. Our friendly staff is mostly available to answer any questions you may have and guide you through the application process. Please note that failure to obtain the necessary permits and licenses may result in fines and other consequences. Please do not inquire about the other consequences.
We encourage you to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have, and we look forward to working with you to ensure that your business is in compliance with Question Mark regulations.